[U-Boot-Users] u-boot Tulip DECchip support

Yusuf Ibrahim Özkök yozkok at aselsan.com.tr
Fri Jun 11 10:42:20 CEST 2004

Hi,

    I'm using a Sandpoint board with X3 (MPC8245)  unity CPU card. Sandpoint does not have an ethernet controller.And since I have a PCI DECchip 21x4x Ethernet controller I want to use it with sandpoint board. I'm able to use this ethernet card with my linux image, it works fine, but I couldn't add this to u-boot image. So I'm dowloading the linux image by using "loadb" or "loads" commands via serial channel and it tooks to much time. You can see my previous tryings below.

    Is there anybody who has used this ethernet controller with Sandpoint? Or do you have any suggestion for my problem.

Regards
yio

P.S:
     Below, there are previous messages between I and Wolfgang. Since I was not aware of using this list I have sent e-mails directly to Wolfgang. Thanks to him for his recommendations about the problem and warnings about using this list.

Hello,

in message <000b01c44ebe$9f0193d0$aa06010a at aselsan.com.tr> you wrote:

>     First of all, Thank you very much for your help. I'm sorry I couldn't
> see the Tulip support of u-boor at the first time.

You are welcome.

>     Yes you are right I should have used the mailing list. Thank you for
> your warning.

Ummm... so why aren't you using it in this case?

For future messages please use the mailing list.

> >Enable CFG_CMD_NET and  CONFIG_TULIP  and  CONFIG_NET_MULTI  in  your
> > board configuration.
>
>     I have tried you recommendations about how to add Tulip driver. But I
> couldn't succedded. Here what I have done exactly and, what results I have
> reached.
>
>    I think, by the "board configuration", you mean
> u-boot-1.1.1\include\configs\Sandpoint8245.h file. In that file,
> CONFIG_NET_MULTI  had already been defined. Then I have defined the first
> two ( CFG_CMD_NET, CONFIG_TULIP). Then firstly, I have run the command "make
> clean", secondly run "make Sandpoint8245_config", And finally, when I have
> run the command "make CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_82xx-" I have received an error,
> saying that definition of CFG_CMD_NET  was dublicated. OK, since it seems to

Maybe I was not clear enough. "CFG_CMD_NET"  is  not  a  #define  you
should  set  yourself;  you  should  make  sure that "CFG_CMD_NET" is
included (i. e. used)  in  your  definition  of  the  CONFIG_COMMANDS
definition.

>        So as a result, my DECchip Ethernet card is still not working with
> u-boot. (Or I couldn't make it work somehow!) Would you please help me about
> where am I wrong. I can enter this subject in mailing list, so some other
> people can use this help.

sorry, I'm afraid I cannot help. I don;t have any Tulip based network
card here, so I cannot test this myself. Please ask  on  the  mailing
list.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Brain off-line, please wait.

Hello,

in message <E1BTbK0-0005YM-00 at sc8-sf-web2.sourceforge.net> you wrote:

>     I need help about u-boot. I'm using u-boot in a Sandpoint
> X3 board. This board does not have an ethernet controller. So
> I'm using DECchip 21x4X PCI ethernet card. But I think u-boot
> does not suppot that card.(Or I couldn't find!).  Can you help

You are wrong. The Tulip chip is supported. See
drivers/dc2114x.*

> about how can I add this ethernet card into u-boot image. I

Enable CFG_CMD_NET and  CONFIG_TULIP  and  CONFIG_NET_MULTI  in  your
board configuration.

> card. But For now I only can download the linux image via
> serial channel with loads command and this takes too much
> time. (about 30 minutes).

You could also use loadb which is much faster. But of course  not  as
fast as Ethernet :-)

> P.S: I have entered this subject into "Forums" in u-boot page.
> But since I need an urgent help I'm also posting it to you.

The U-Boot page should have told you that the preferred communication
channel is through the u-0boot-users mailing list.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Brain off-line, please wait.
################################################################################################
Dikkat:

Bu elektronik posta mesaji kisisel ve ozeldir. Eger size gonderilmediyse lutfen gondericiyi
bilgilendirip mesaji siliniz. Firmamiza gelen ve giden mesajlar virus taramasindan gecirilmekte,
guvenlik nedeni ile kontrol edilerek saklanmaktadir. Mesajdaki gorusler ve bakis acisi
gondericiye ait olup Aselsan A.S. resmi gorusu olmak zorunda degildir.

Attention:

This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient please
delete the message and notify the sender. E-mails to and from the company are monitored for
operational reasons and in accordance with lawful business practices. Any views or opinions
presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the company.