[U-Boot-Users] LCD on pxa255

himba himba at siol.net
Mon Jun 14 16:55:29 CEST 2004

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> It will enable U-Boot Bitmap _Support_ (i. e. the functions needed to
> draw the spash screen), but this does NOT anable the BMP  _commands_.

Thank you for clearing it out for me.

> See also:
>
>     By adding the CFG_CMD_BMP option to your CONFIG_COMMANDS
>     command selections you can enable support for bitmap images
>     in U-Boot. This will add bmp to the list of commands in your
>     configuration of U-Boot
>

>>does not enable bmp command. I also tried with #define CONFIG_COMMANDS
>>         (CONFIG_CMD_DFL | CMD_BMP), but with no success.
>

> Probably because it's CFG_CMD_BMP ?

Yes, I noticed.

> Also be aware that so far only the MPC823 LCD driver ("cpu/mpc8xx/lcd.c")
> and the SMI LynxE driver ("drivers/cfb_console.c") actually implement
> bitmap support and the splash screen feature.

Also noticed that it doesn't compile for pxa - le{16,32}_to_cpu
functions are missing and lcd_display_bitmap() is not defined. I
included linux/byteorder/little_endian.h in pxafb.c and copied
lcd_display_bitmap() from cpu/mpc8xx/lcd.c (did some quick hacks to
get it compile), but  with no luck.

I guess I should first try to get testpattern displayed using
functions that are in pxafb.c already.

CONFIG_LCD_LOGO gets #undefined in pxafb.c by default, but I commented
it out and am also including bmp_logo.h (instead of bmp_nexus.h). I'm
suspecting that this gets u-boot corrupted since LCD is initialized at
0x0,
  [LCD] Initializing LCD frambuffer at 00000000

and bitmap_plot() writes to lcd_base pointed to 00000000.

further...
I suspect there should be something similar done in lib_arm/board.c as
in lib_ppc/board.c ?

#ifdef CONFIG_LCD
         /* reserve memory for LCD display (always full pages) */
         addr = lcd_setmem (addr);
         gd->fb_base = addr;
#endif /* CONFIG_LCD */

Function for reserving memory for fb - lcd_setmem() - already exist in
pxafb.c but it doesn't seem to be used anywhere ?!

regards, himba