[U-Boot-Users] mpc8260 reset procedure

Mészáros Lajos ludwigm at siemens.com
Tue Jun 15 13:27:34 CEST 2004

> Feladó: Wolfgang Denk [mailto:wd at denx.de]
>
> In message
> <37D0F88E70D96C428C19EEB865701A3802620596 at buda902a.siemens.hu>
>  you wrote:
> >
> > the memory range) the ONLY acceptable
> > IMMR of any properly working Linux is
> >     <<<<< 0xF0000000 >>>>>              !!!
>
> This is NOT correct.
>
> > I dare to suggest it for standard on ALL 82xx
> > boards
>
> There is no reason for such  a  restriction.  For  me,  the  de  facto
> standard is 0xFFF00000.

You are right, in that
    there is no reason for _a_n_y_ restriction
But:
 - good idea to boot at 0xFE000100 (32M boot
    flash/rom), this is the highest 32M which can
    be big enough for most embedded systems
 - good idea to leave the flash at the reset
    address (there may be any data to use
    later  e.g. ramdisk or flash filesystem and
    of course the kernel itself)
 - good idea NOT overlap the internal area
    with the boot flash
 - good idea NOT modify the IMMR reset
    value, which (in case of 0xF0000000)
    may start at the common/usual IO - at the
    highest 256M area
 - today, for the 8280 the internal area
    is 256K, it is a matter of time to grow
    over 1M ...

As far as I know the uboot include/configs/*.h
files use many value, even very strange ones,
the 0xf0000000 is not the minority.
(For  me,  the  de  facto standard is this.)

Best Regards
   Ludwig