[U-Boot-Users] Re: MPPC8560ADS and U-Boot 1.1.1 problems ?

Yuli Barcohen yuli at arabellasw.com
Tue Jun 29 13:20:22 CEST 2004

    Wolfgang> In message <16609.9367.682834.887803 at gargle.gargle.HOWL>
    Wolfgang> you wrote:

    Yuli> function. After making these changes, I was able to compile
    Yuli> and run the U-Boot ... until the first saveenv command. A
    Yuli> quick look into the configuration file showed that the
    Yuli> environment is placed in the middle

    Wolfgang> Which is perfectly OK (and often a good idea).

... if it's embedded environment, usually on variable sector size
flashes. It's not the case.

    Yuli> of the U-Boot's code. I moved the environment to
    Yuli> (CFG_MONITOR_BASE - 0x40000) and now it's OK.

    Wolfgang> OK as a temporary (read: quick & dirty) work-aroud, but
    Wolfgang> not acceptable for check-in.

Just as most of the described changes. As I wrote, I'm waiting for Jon's
patch to resolve all the issues cleanly.

    Wolfgang> [Just to avoid misunderstandings.]

If you can suggest another place I'll be glad to use it. The U-Boot
occupies two last sectors of the flash (BTW, one is enough) so you can't
put the environment after U-Boot as it's usually done. You can't embed
it either (unless you want to continue allocating 512KB for the U-Boot)
because embedding would mix code and environment in one sector which is
unsafe.

 Yuli Barcohen       | Phone +972-9-765-1788 |  Software Project Leader
 yuli at arabellasw.com | Fax   +972-9-765-7494 | Arabella Software, Israel