[U-Boot-Users] Booting Linux stops at Starting Kernel, perhaps an endian problem

Sonia Martinez anexwarrior at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 09:14:25 CET 2004

Hi all,

We're trying to make Linux run on our DBPXA based platform. U-boot works fine, we can communicate through serial line with it, using Minicom or HyperTerminal.

The kernel and file system image (u-boot multi image) is loaded into RAM with kermit at 0xa3100000. But, when we try to boot linux with the bootm command, it stops at "Starting Kernel" (We're working with Linux kernel 2.4.19 patched with -rmk7-pxa1 in eLinOS distribution).

In order to see if something went wrong, we've compared vmlinux.bin before compression and the kernel decompressed in RAM, in position Load_address. We've found that the information is the same but one is in big endian (in RAM) and the other one in little endian (vmlinux.bin). The platform works in little endian, so this is probably the problem. How can we solve it?? Is it a gunzip problem??

Thanks in advance

Best regards,

Sonia