[U-Boot-Users] Proposal to add "ispeed" (I2C speed) command

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 4 17:13:49 CET 2004

In message <20504.216.110.51.8.1078415909.squirrel at www.orkun.us> you wrote:
> > Makes sense, but why do you need measuring datas in context of a
> > bootloader ?
>
> Well, it is not meant to be full time use. Sort of quick diagnostics and
> to do some random device/register access by a technician or to check the
> configuration, upload new config etc..

Such code should not go into the normal distribution, then. Just wrte
a small standalone application for your hardware tests  -  there  you
can do whatever you want to do.

> This is probably not needed if the output can be saved in a variable in
> u-boot. Can you do so using standard u-boot scripting instead of hush?

No, you cannot. There is no eval command in U-Boot version of hush.

> convenience to switch the i2c speed but I also recognized it might not be
> useful for everyone so I proposed to make it conditional.

IMHO it's not even useful if made conditional. I consider  it  either
risky  (if  you  try to increase the I2C speed above the speed of the
slowest device on the bus) or useless (if you  slow  down  the  speed
without need).

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You can observe a lot just by watching.                  - Yogi Berra