[U-Boot-Users] Newbie needs help with RAMDISK

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 12 16:42:04 CET 2004

In message <BAY10-F7NuQuN6tdqVv0001a88a at hotmail.com> you wrote:

> The info in the book suggested that as long as you did a
> bootm <kernel address> <RAM disk address> it should work. I've also read
> this in the README but I think its only in the context of PPC.  I do have

This syntax is correct for all working ports of U-Boot.

> ext2 configured in my kernel but maybe I need other options also enabled.
> (What kind of message should I get if its not enabled)
> Also what kernel command line should I use? Is root =/dev/ram correct? Do I

No, the space between "rot" and "=" is wrong ;-)

> have to set-up a u-boot envionment variable for a RAM disk?

Yes, at least you must define a valit "bootargs".

> I know I am present at the alter of the gods of booting and linux and I
> apologise if my requests fall short...... :(

:-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"Probably the best operating system in the world  is  the  [operating
system] made for the PDP-11 by Bell Laboratories."
                                           - Ted Nelson, October 1977