[U-Boot-Users] BOOTP timeouts

himbA goavr at email.si
Mon Mar 15 16:20:22 CET 2004

Hi,

I've been debugging smc91c111 lan driver in u-boot for several days now
and found the fix that eliminates (at least on my board) the need to
have debugging enabled on the driver and still run OK. The routines for
send and recieve were lacking save/restore of PTR and PNR regs on start
and end of routine, respectively. I will post a patch as soon I clean up
the code.

I have another question - has anybody experienced BOOTP timeouts using
smc91111 driver ?
To me it happens once in ~50-100 reboots of the board and after that the
systems keeps on trying to send BOOTP requests but it doesn't leave the
chip (tcpdump is not showing any packets on the wire). This would be
output on console:
[...]
SMC91111 MAC addr from EEPROM: 00:c4:0e:43:36:68
BOOTP broadcast 1
BOOTP broadcast 2
BOOTP broadcast 3
BOOTP broadcast 4
BOOTP broadcast 5
SMC91111: memory allocation, try 1 failed ...
SMC91111: memory allocation, try 2 failed ...
SMC91111: memory allocation, try 3 failed ...
SMC91111: memory allocation, try 4 failed ...
SMC91111: memory allocation, try 5 failed ...
SMC91111: memory allocation, try 6 failed ...
SMC91111: memory allocation, try 7 failed ...
SMC91111: memory allocation, try 8 failed ...
SMC91111: memory allocation, try 9 failed ...
SMC91111: memory allocation, try 10 failed ...

Retry count exceeded; starting again
BOOTP broadcast 1
[...]

regards, himba
--
..because under Linux "if something is possible in principle,
then it is already implemented or somebody is working on it".