[U-Boot-Users] Trouble with U-Boot on M5282EVB

Stuart Wood swood at rochester.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 02:57:03 CET 2004

I've been struggling with getting u-boot up and running on the Motorola
 M5282EVB for a month now.

What I want to do:
Load u-boot onto the internal flash of the processor. Then have the board
 boot from internal flash. I also want to be able to access the monitor from
 the serial port.

My tools are:
OS - Mandrake 9.2
Tool Chain - m68k-elf-tools-20030314 tool chain
Debugger: - gdb-5.2.1 with "gdb-bdm-20020210.tar.gz" and "gdb-5.2.1.patch"
from Cybertec.
P&E BDM Interface
I can also use CFFlasher from Motorola on a separate Windows machine.

What I've done:
I've down loaded U-BOOT from the CVS Tree (I know it needs a pre loader)
I'm using Bernhard Kuhn "bdm-m5282evb.tgz" and "loader-m5282evb.tgzr" files
for the Pre-Loader.
I've down loaded and compiled Motorola's sample initialization code with GCC.
I wrote and ran a SDRAM memory test program based on that code.
I've tried to use Bernhard's BDM code with U-Boot but I get a bus fault after
 it tries to loading/run u-boot.

What I don't understand:
Other than initializing the processor what does the pre-loader need to do?
What is the function of Bernhard's "Loader" Code?
Why does the output need to be loaded into /tftpboot, per his instructions?

I think the steps that need to be done are this;
1) using the bdm initialize the board with the preloaded code, and then halt.
2) Load U-Boot code over the bdm. ( How do I know the address that it will be
 going to?) 3) set the program counter to the 0x20000
4) start executing the monitor code of U-Boot
5) using the u-boot monitor over the serial interface, load u-boot to the
 flash.

Is this correct?

Any help is appreciated, and I'm  willing to update Bernhard's HOW-TO if this
 works.

Stuart Wood