[U-Boot-Users] MIPS (purple) compilation problems.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 17 22:07:47 CET 2004

In message <4058536D.7020400 at il.marvell.com> you wrote:

> The code I disassemble below is the u-boot image.

Yes, that much was clear. My question was: is this the image  on  the
disk  of  your  development  host,  or in flash on your target system
before relocation, or in RAM on your target system after relocation?

> As I understand the code must be PIC, other wise when we will relocate

No. The code must be relocatable, but not PIC.

> to the DRAM in the next function
> call we will jump back to the Flash, cause  the compiler might use

It will not, because we relocate it.

Please note that to relocate code means more than just copying it  to
a different address.

> absolute jump and not a relative branch/jump.

This is why we relocate the code.

See http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDKRebuildingComponents#Section_3.7.3.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds."               - Mark Twain