[U-Boot-Users] miiphy_speed() broken after latest patch...

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Fri Mar 19 20:21:55 CET 2004

> Tolunay, Wolfgang:
>
> See below:
>
> On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 19:32, Tolunay Orkun wrote:
>
>> Another thing to consider is incompatible GigE PHY register sets. So,
>> perhaps we should have someting have CONFIG_PHY_1000_TYPE as well and
>> use
>> it like:
>>
> Incompatible!?!  Then they do not follow the IEEE 802.3 standard.  The
> only reason I felt comfortable putting the code in was I read the .3
> standard wrt unsupported registers.

Well, technically Intel LXT971A is a 10/100 PHY. It does not support GigE
but strangely it refers to 1000 mode in status and register 0x9 and 0xA
but then again puts a note and says not implemented. It looks like either
half implemented GigE design sold as 10/100 PHY.

For this particular case LXT971A is returning 0x1fff for register 0xA.

> (I wonder what other phys don't return 0xFFFF, I only have 4 different
> types on hand ;)

I am afraid I cannot say that. Perhaps folks on the list try "mii read"
command to test if register 0xA is returning other than 0xffff.

Regards,
Tolunay