[U-Boot-Users] Re: EEPROM updation for the MAC address

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Mar 28 17:57:50 CEST 2004

In message <004101c414cb$413426f0$af00a8c0 at tidelpark.isofttechindia.com> you wrote:

>     u-boot is not accepting me to change the ethernet address. Is there any
> specific reasons for it.

This is done so intentionally. Read the documentation:
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/UBootEnvVariables

There are variables (MAC address,  serial  number,  etc.)  which  are
supposed  to  be set once by the manufacturer of the board, and which
do not need to be changed after  that,  and/or  where  the  end  user
should not be able to change them. This is what you see.

>   Is there any way to change the MAC address in my EEPROM?

Yes, of course. Everything is possible in software.

And  BTW:  please  NEVER  send  non-administrative  messages  to  the
u-boot-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net  address; the mailing list
address is u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Pain is a thing of the mind.  The mind can be controlled.
	-- Spock, "Operation -- Annihilate!" stardate 3287.2