[U-Boot-Users] How does u-boot inform the linux kernel of a JFFS2 root filesyst em?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 30 14:46:08 CEST 2004

In message <9901EE1E8F8BD3119109009027A1B5F596AF68 at DIGINET2> you wrote:

> I can use fsload to load the kernel image into ram, once in ram I can launch
> the kernel using bootm <address of kernel image>. Previously I had been

Correct.

> using a ramdisk arrangement which I configured by launching the kernel with
> a bootm <address of kernel image> <address of ramdisk> and informing the
> kernel within the bootargs of root=/dev/ram, how should I pass the location
> of the root filesystem to the kernel?

You must pass a "root=/dev/mtdblockX rw" argument  to  Linux.  Either
your  kernel  then  has built-in knowledge about the flash partitions
(via a static mapping driver in drivers/mtd/maps/<board>.c),  or  you
provide  the partition information as part of the boot arguments, see
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/BootTimeConfigurationOfMTDPartitions

In general, the DULG contains some hints :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
HR Manager to job candidate "I see you've had no  computer  training.
Although  that  qualifies  you  for upper management, it means you're
under-qualified for our entry level positions."