[U-Boot-Users] Re: boot commands

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 31 22:57:09 CEST 2004

In message <31968-89888 at sneakemail.com> you wrote:

> Arg! It seems like *all* the autoboot related variables, including
> BOOTARGS and AUTOBOOT_PROMPT are ignored if there is *any*
> environment. This makes no sense to me. Surely people want to

Wrong. They are not ignored. They are  used  to  define  the  DEFAULT
environment.

> set per-board stuff in environment and keep common autoboot
> settings compiled in. My BOOTCOMMAND and BOOTARGS together are
> too large to fit into my 256byte EEPROM.

You misunderstand  how  the  environment  works.  There  are  no  two
separate  sets,  it  is only one set, which gets pre-initialized form
the default settings, which get used in case of corrupted checksum or
so...

If you cannot fit your environment in 256  bytes  you  should  use  a
bigger   EEPROM.   Or  even  better  (much  more  reliable)  put  the
environment in flash.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"If the code and  the  comments  disagree,  then  both  are  probably
wrong."                                                - Norm Schryer