[U-Boot-Users] RE: New NAND code draft

Dave Ellis DGE at sixnetio.com
Mon May 3 20:26:14 CEST 2004

Pantelis Antoniou wrote:
> In the attached patch you can see the progress of my work
> in the NAND rewrite.
>
> This is not suitable for inclusion yet.

I tried it with a flash with no bad blocks. With the
attached patch it worked for booting from JFFS2, and
erasing/writing new JFFS2 images. My system copies
the boot partition to RAM and U-Boot's JFFS2 uses the
RAM copy.

The patch just fixes my configuration file and makes
cmd_nand.c build when CONFIG_MTD_NAND_UNSAFE is not defined.

> Things that work now:
>
> 1. Correct handling of bad blocks.

I only tried a nand with no bad blocks. I'll simulate
some bad blocks when the read.jffs2 support is added.

> 2. NAND boot works

not tried

> 4. Direct to NAND tftp/nfs support.

not tried

> Things that are probably borked:
>
> 1. Multiple chip support (I don't have such hardware available
>    and the previous code was kinda of unclear.

not tried (I don't have the hardware either.)

> 3. JFFS2 support although there is probably b0rken.
> 4. The read.xxx/write.xxx support is just not there yet.

I need to be able to specify the range of NAND to read from
(like read.jffs2 does), then I will test the JFFS2 read/write
with bad blocks.

Dave Ellis