[U-Boot-Users] [Patch] envcommon

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu May 13 17:56:42 CEST 2004

In message <20040513143724.GP27774 at pengutronix.de> you wrote:

> * Patch by Kai-Uwe Bloem, Robert Schwebel, 13 May 2004:
>   Copy data only when we _have_ a default environment,
>   otherwhise set environment to 0.

Why is this patch needed?

>  		memset (env_ptr, 0, sizeof(env_t));

Here the environment gets zeroed.

> -		memcpy (env_ptr->data,
> -			default_environment,
> -			sizeof(default_environment));
> +		if (sizeof(default_environment) > 0)
> +			memcpy (env_ptr->data,
> +				default_environment,
> +				sizeof(default_environment));
> +		else
> +			env_ptr->data[0] = '\0';

For sizeof(default_environment)>0 your patch does not change
anything; for sizeof(default_environment)==0 it adds the
"env_ptr->data[0] = '\0'" statement which seems to be redundand to me
since the whole area was zeroed out earlier. [And "memcpy(d,s,0)" is
a noop, right?]

Am I missing something?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You can love it, change it, or leave it.    There is NO other option.
But do not complain - it is your own choice...                  -- wd