[U-Boot-Users] question of changing the default settingof the ocotea board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 25 10:48:36 CEST 2004

In message <BAY2-F1642mqT5qoRfg000121a9 at hotmail.com> you wrote:

>      I use the ocotea board, and I want to change the default setting
> #define CONFIG_IPADDR 10.1.2.3 and #define CONFIG_SERVERIP 10.1.2.2 to my
> own ip addresses in the file of include/configs/ocotea.h, then compile the

Why don't you just overwrite the settings in the running system using
the setenv command?

> source. When I unpacked a new u-boot source package to do this, the change
> take effective, then I change it again in the dirty source, strange things

Don't use dirty source. Always use clean sources only :-)

> happened, the changes didn't take effective, and they keep in default
> setting of 10.1.2.3 and 10.1.2.2.  How do this happened?

If I understand correctly, the Ocotea board stores the envrionment in
NVRAM. Once saved there, it does not matter  if  you  install  a  new
U-Boot   image  with  a  different  default  environment:  the  saved
environment in NVRAM is valid, and will get used.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"Probably the best operating system in the world  is  the  [operating
system] made for the PDP-11 by Bell Laboratories."
                                           - Ted Nelson, October 1977