[U-Boot-Users] flash erase

Kerl, John John.Kerl at Avnet.com
Thu May 27 22:45:45 CEST 2004

Usually what happens is that if one has a 32-bit data bus and 16-bit
wide flash parts, there are two flash chips side by side.  A single
32-bit write results in 16 bits going to one chip and 16 bits going
to the other.  Note that flash chips generally lack byte enables so
in fact one *must* do a single 32-bit write in this case, rather than
two 16-bit writes.

So, you might want to check (a) processor bus width, (b) processor
bus width for this particular chip select; (c) flash bus width; (d)
how many flash chips you have.  And if this is a new, custom board,
please keep in mind that problems are just as likely to need fixing
with a soldering iron & flywires, as with software mods.  Either the
software or the hardware could be at fault.