[U-Boot-Users] U-boot+Arm linux 2.4.19-rmk7 boot problem

Robert Schwebel robert at schwebel.de
Fri May 28 07:29:46 CEST 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 10:42:04AM +0530, Annamalai Prakash wrote:
> I find the Kernel Entry Address and Load address for ARM kernel.  it
> is 0x8000. Now my system hangs after "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to
> mount root fs on 01:00". The kernel has Ramdisk support,ext2 file
> system support.I dont know where i m doing mistake.

Hmm, this is more Linux related, you should ask these questions on
arm-linux-kernel.

> ## Booting image at 50040000 ...
>    Image Name:   Linux Kernel Image
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
>    Data Size:    707679 Bytes = 691.1 kB
>    Load Address: 00008000
>    Entry Point:  00008000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
>    Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
>    Image Name:   Ram Disk Image
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
>    Data Size:    2795019 Bytes =  2.7 MB
>    Load Address: 00000000
>    Entry Point:  00000000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK

Any reason why you use an initrd on an embedded system? initrds are for
mainstream distributions who want to completely modularize their
kernels, and I doubt that this is what you have in mind ;)

Are you sure your memory map is ok? I don't know the IXPs, but on ARM
you normally have flash at 0x0, so loading the Linux kernel to
0x0+0x8000 and loading the initrd to 0x0 is probably not the best idea.

> Creating 2 MTD partitions on "IXP425 Flash":
> 0x00040000-0x00440000 : "image"
> 0x00440000-0x00fc0000 : "user"

This suggests that you want to boot from mtd0: add 'root=/dev/mtdblock0'
to your kernel command line options.

If you really want to boot from the initrd make sure that your kernel
does support it.

Robert
     Hornemannstraße 12,  31137 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4