[U-Boot-Users] adding tcp

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 3 19:09:47 CET 2004

Dear Mastupristi?

in message <389686f2041103084237c03568 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > Yes, and it's trivial. It's a two-step procedure. In the  first  step
> > you  will start standard U-Boot, and in the second step you will boot
> > an operating system (Linux recommended).
> No. We need to embed tcp in u-boot.

No, you don't. Forget it. A full-blown  TCP/IP  stack  requires  much
more  services  than  avialable  in  U-Boot.  Please repeat after me:
U-Boot is just a boot loader, it is NOT an operating system.

> unfortunately we need to provide some features (involving tcp) before
> linux was boot.

Then boot a minimized Linux kernel first. Or, if this is not  allowed
by your Powers That Be, then boot a NetBSD image for this task ;-)

> Is it so difficult to embed tcp in u-boot?

Short answer: yes.

> > BTW: I strongly recommend to update - version 0.4.0 is _very_ old.
> We were asked to use 0.4.0. Obviously I prefer to use a more recent
> version but unfortunately we can't.

Then do yourself a favour and reject this job. All your work would be
wasted. It makes  NO,  absolutely  NO  sense  to  base  current  work
(especially  work  that  is  intended to add major extensions) on old
code that has been obsoleted more than a year ago.

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Voodoo Programming: Things programmers do that  they  know  shouldn't
work  but they try anyway, and which sometimes actually work, such as
recompiling everything.                             - Karl Lehenbauer