[U-Boot-Users] add new protocol

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 3 19:16:10 CET 2004

Dear Massimiliano,

in message <20041103184046.2ee0e870.cialdi at firenze.net> you wrote:
> We use u-boot 0.4.0 and we need to add new custom network protocol on top of udp.

Is this just coincidence, or are you by chance working  on  the  same
project  as  Mastupristi?  who claims he must add support for TCP for
the very same obsolete version of U-Boot?

> How is it possible? How to read/write udp packets without involve other protocols (RARP, TFTP or BOOTP)?

You can add your own hooks into the network code.

But do NOT expect to be able to run anything even remotely similar to TCP.

> Our custom device need to provide some features (involving our custom protocol) before linux is boot.

What's the difference who provides the services, U-Boot or Linux? The
peer probably does not care if it's U-Boot or Linux, or does it?

> please note that since we were asked to use version 0.4.0, we cannot use a newer version of u-boot.

Don't do it.

You will not get any help for this obsoleted version.

Your extension will never have a chance to  make  it  into  a  recent
version of U-Boot.

You will suffer from lots of bugs which have been  fixed  in  the  18
months that have passed since 0.4.0 was released.

Do yourself and your customer a favour:  Don't  do  it.  Use  current
code. Use the top of CVS.

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Knowledge, sir, should be free to all!
	-- Harry Mudd, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3