[U-Boot-Users] Compressed U-Boot image

Scott McNutt smcnutt at psyent.com
Thu Nov 4 01:43:57 CET 2004

> The u-boot image is quite large.

That depends on what you are comparing it with. You
can always take out what you don't need to trim things
down.

> Has anyone done any working in getting a compressed
 > u-boot image to boot ala the Linux kernel ?

Yes, but it's difficult to support multiple platforms
without complicating the build process. I need a
u-boot __binary__ to be very small since it must fit
into a small serial flash (config) device for an FPGA
(w/Nios-II). But I also need many features (with long
help text). So, I tried a few times to come up with a
general solution ... but never really liked any of them.

In the end, it was easier to just gzip the stock u-boot.bin,
and link it in with some simple startup/decompress code.
So, I have a very compact binary ... and I avoided the
challenge of keeping Wolfgang happy with a maintainable,
general solution ;-)

Regards,
--Scott