[U-Boot-Users] Re: GOT pointer in U-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Nov 6 14:30:58 CET 2004

In message <cmif0k$kq6$1 at sea.gmane.org> you wrote:

> But Even if I ignore GOT pointer my problem still persists. The problem

Ignorance has never been a solution to problems.

You should try to understand what's going on.

> of bootloader trying to jump to an address which does not exist.

How do you know that the address is bad?

> I compile for ROM version(config.mk) the code downloads in flash but

I have no idea what you mean by "ROM version".

> when it relocates itself to SDRAM, the address it tries to jump is a
> "valid" SDRAM address but I don't see that address anywhere in
> u-boot.dis. All the addresses in u-boot.dis are relative to the
> TEXT_BASE I have given in ROM version.

Yes, of course. What did you expect? The image that  you  build  uses
the  addresses  as  set up by the TEXT_BASE definition and the linker
script. The code then relocates itself into RAM, i. e. ij adjusts the
addresses of the in-RAM copy of itself. So far, I don't know  of  any
magic way to make it change the image files on ypur host system while
doing this.

> Do I need to make some changes in linker file ? For the same board and

No.

> YAMON bootloader the disassembled file has initial flash addresses and
> then SDRAM addresses for opcodes after the code is relocated. I am not

YAMON is something different. I have no idea  how  it  is  implement.
(Well, I do, but for this discussion it does not matter.) Ignore what
you  know  about  YAMON.  This  is  U-Boot,  and  U-Boot  does  it as
documented in the README, and as I explained to you.

> expecting the same from u-boot but I am unable to understand u-boot
> policy regarding this.

The README says: "After booting and sizing and initializing DRAM, the
code relocates itself to the upper end of DRAM." what exactly is  not
clear with this statement?

Don't you know what "relocate" means? Sorry, but this list is not the
right place to discuss basics like this.

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Q:  What's a light-year?
A:  One-third less calories than a regular year.