[U-Boot-Users] U-boot starts and stops before a command prompt

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 16 21:26:26 CET 2004

In message <1100610399.8f965bbcnishant.subs at myrealbox.com> you wrote:

> The Problem:
> The last message printed is: "New Stack Pointer is: 0x1F3 6F48"

Yet another case of SDRAM initialization problems.

> That is where I am stuck. Where does the execution control branch to? How do I figure out where the code is going? I know it does not reach in_ram because the first statements there is my code to glow the LEDs.

[Please use shorter lines. Maximum is some 70 characters or so.]

> How do I debug u-boot? Should I use CodeWarrior or gdb? I have never used either of them before.

RTFM: see http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/DebuggingUBoot

I don;t know if CW allows  you  to  reload  the  symbol  table  to  a
relocation  address. GDB does. All available documentation for U-Boot
assumes you use GDB.

> If I have to use CodeWarrior, how do I go about it?

Maybe there is soem documentation that comes with CW?

> If I have to use gdb, what commands do I give?
> I have tried both 'gdb' and 'ppc_82xx-gdb'.

RTFM.

> (gdb) target remote /dev/lp0
> gives errors saying set_tty_state failed: Invalid argument

I don't know if your version of GDB supports the WireTAP  debugger...
There  should  be  some  documentation with the WireTAP debugger that
explains how to use it?

> Observations / attempts:
> u-boot 1.1.1 was meant for EP8260 rev. 1.1 (64Mb RAM, 16 Mb Flash)
>
> I made the changes necessary for rev. 1.3 in board/ep8260/ep8260.h and include/configs/ep8260.h

Obviously you broke the SDRAM init sequence.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Swap read error.  You lose your mind.