[U-Boot-Users] CONFIG_BOOTBINFUNC for AT91RM9200

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 24 11:26:56 CET 2004

Dear Lars,

in message <AB4979EC12A5EB419810807434495A17283C1E at svex01001.wago.local> you wrote:

> > Which is an unsupported mode of operation which works for a handfull
> > of experts and causes confusion with many, many newbees.
>
> How do these lines of code confuse a newbie more than any other code
> in the file?

It's not the lines of code, but the mode of operation. People tend to
underestimate the complexity of  the  task  and  the  impact  of  the
required modifications.

> > As I always do. Attach the BDI, burn to flash, start in GDB.
>
> There are 53982 other hardware debuggers out there and only the
> minority (is there actually one besides the BDI?) support the
> burn to flash feature you rely on. So if you need to start U-Boot

C'me on. You must be joking. Please name a few  commercial  debuggers
which do not support flash programming. Maybe we should add a list of
such broken devices to our wiki so people can avoid them?

Let me check:

* Abatron BDI2000: ok (of course)
* Windriver visionICE II: ok
* Lauterbach Trace32: ok
* Macraigor Wiggler / Raven / usbDemon: ok
* Agilent 3070 Series etc: ok

Even the free BDM4GDB project suports flash programming.

Please be specific: which BDM/JTAG debugger cannot program  flash?  I
really would like to know to be able to warn our customers.

> > You can do this if you know exactly what you're doing,
>
> Isn't this what is assumed here anyway?

Yes. People should think, machines should work ;-)

There are areas, where small errors have small consequences which are
easy to spot. AQnd there are really nasty problems. If you look  back
at  the archives you will see that this is one of these nasty problem
domains. And it's a FAQ.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good  men  to
do nothing.                                            - Edmund Burke