[U-Boot-Users] Porting U-Boot to an ARM920T-Based Board.

Rodel Miguel RodelFMiguel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 17:56:37 CEST 2004

Hi,

I would like to get some help to port u-boot on a new hardware (the
hardware is still under heavy development).

I have listed the following issues which I've encountered while
reading the README and browsing the source tree.

1.  My board has an ARM920T core.  Instinctively, I would choose a
"template" board support subdirectory that has the same core.  If my
platform is very different from the template,  can I just choose the
board that fits my needs (e.g. UART, FLASH, MEMORY MAP, etc.) and just
re-configure the core?  If this is possible, how do I do this?

2.  My UART port is 16550 compliant.  The ARM920T core (cpu/arm920T/)
is using a serial.c that is compliant to S3C24XX.  Can I just simply
overwrite cpu/arm920t/serial.c with 16550 compliant serial.c?

3.  Can somebody please tell me the files that are most-likely to
change when porting u-boot to a new platform?  Currently I am
modifying the following:

     board/myboard /* copied from board smdk2410 */
          - What should be placed here?  Initialization routines?
What is the "minimal" requirement for this subdirectory?

     Makefile - to make our board noticable to the main kernel tree

     include/configs/myboard.h

4. Are there other important files to modify in order to build the
proper u-boot image?

Please advise on the stated issues.  Thank you very much.

Regards,
Rodel Miguel