[U-Boot-Users] RTC Question

Victor Wren vwren at timension.com
Fri Oct 8 21:49:46 CEST 2004

> 11:59pm. On Sat 20-Sep-2059, the date will be displayed as Thur 01-Jan-1970.
>
> Should I add extra complexity, to extend things past this?

> I see issues in other code that will roll over around 19Jan2038, so I would
> expect that others are not concerned about it?

This is a common discussion on many boards.  Actually, most variants of Linux
will roll over in 2038. Eventually (within the next five years, I'm guessing)
the move will probably be made to 64-bit clocks.   It's not a matter of 32768
days, but 2^31-1 seconds (for signed int), so a 64-bit clock will push out
the rollover to the year 292,271,025,015 (roughly), or about 50 times the age
of our solar system.

Considering that 2038 is 34 years away, though (remember that 34 years ago
was 1970) it's pretty likely that hardware is going to be considerably
different by then, and anything made today will be a distant memory.  I could
be wrong.  Anybody still running embedded devices made in 1970?

Victor Wren