[U-Boot-Users] ATA driver in U-Boot

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Fri Oct 8 21:21:59 CEST 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 12:17:55PM -0800, Victor Wren wrote:

> Given that the kernel is being loaded out of flash (with all drivers compiled
> in), and that the only reference to the IDE drive that U-Boot really knows
> about is a commandline parameter passed to the kernel, would it cause any
> conspicuous problems to remove ATA support from U-Boot, or does the kernel
> depend on hardware information that U-Boot is providing (I notice there's a
> "U-Boot" section in the kernel config)?

Victor,

It's been a little while since I looked at it, but I don't believe there
is any reason why U-Boot needs to have the IDE/ATA stuff built-in unless
U-Boot is going to use it.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't communicate w/
the kernel about it (i.e. IDE) at all.  Of course, YMMV... :-)

John
--
John W. Linville
linville at tuxdriver.com