[U-Boot-Users] How to disable serial console completely?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Oct 9 09:28:22 CEST 2004

In message <20041009010345.86505.qmail at web15604.mail.cnb.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> Thanks for your concern on this point. Actually
> speaking, I am a little puzzled toward the fact
> whether to disable serial console or not. Anyway,

As a developer of U-Boot, yo don't want to do that - you always  want
to have the most convenient access methods available :-)

But there are situation when the end user needs the serial  port  for
other purposes, and U-Boot is prepared to deal wih this situation. If
everything else fails you can use netconsole.

> Does this make the difference?  My hack method is to
> fix common/main.c to disable any serial input for my
> board. It worked but I couldn't switch to serial
> console anymore. So sadly...

No need to hack anything. All necessary  defines  to  shut  down  the
serial  console  completely are already in place. Just define them in
your board config file.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
If God wanted me to touch my toes, he'd have put them on my knees.