[U-Boot-Users] Question on do_bootm in cmd_bootm.c

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Fri Oct 22 19:49:40 CEST 2004

On Oct 21, 2004, at 8:08 PM, Nick Barendt wrote:

> 	Can someone, maybe Wolfgang, comment on the maximum 4MB uncompressed
> size of gunzip (and, possibly, bzip2) images?

This was probably copied from the PowerPC Linux "bootloader" source
code, which was created a long, long time ago.  We used this value
in that code because long ago when compressed images were necessary
the embedded boards were lucky to have 8M of RAM.  Based on the (then
fixed) load address and sizes of memory, you couldn't uncompress images
larger than this without writing over the uncompressing code.  To
prevent
large images from just hanging the system, we stopped short and
continued
to boot.  At least this way we got an error later that the ramdisk isn't
correct.  Back then it was common to know this kind of failure.

> 	Would there be any issues with making unc_len a CFG_ macro, if I
> submitted a patch?

I don't think a configuration macro is appropriate, just submit a patch
with a much larger and still reasonable value, maybe 16M or so.

Thanks.

	-- Dan