[U-Boot-Users] Hello world application running problem

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Sat Oct 30 17:08:28 CEST 2004

Hi Jhavk,

>> I have read README.standalone. My target board is
>> smdk2440(Arm 9).
>>
>> So i transfer hello_world using tftp to address
>> 0x0c100000 and then call "go 0x0c100000 hello world"
>>
>> But after that the application seems to get stuck
>> and
>> nothing happens. Eventually i have to reset the
>> board.
>>
>> I have some doubts:
>> 1. Which file should i send. I think it should be
>> hello_world and not the srec or bin format. I ran
>> file
>>  command on  all 3 and found that hello_world is the
>> one meant for ARM.

You should use the .bin file as tftp does not interpret ELF files so
you need a binary image.  file cannot tell anything about binary
images because there is no magic in there anymore - its a plain memory
dump.

>> 2.Is the load and start address correct? May be its
>> different for ARM9?

This is just a theoretical answer as I don't have an ARM board ready -
but judging by the makefile it looks ok.  Apart from that on PPC we
have to skip the first 4 bytes because of reasons explained on this
list not long ago (search mailing list - I don't have a good keyword
ready) - so try a "go 0x0c100004".  This is also explained in the
DULG.

>> If all these are correct then what may be the
>> problem?

I saw at least two problems.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
A statistician can have his head in an oven and his feet in ice, and
he will say that on the average he feels fine.