[U-Boot-Users] Re: [ARMboot-users] Asking the concept for a newbie

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Oct 31 21:57:26 CET 2004

In message <4183729E.40196727 at ms10.hinet.net> you wrote:

> I'm a newbie in this field, and deal with an ARM946E based borad.

Note that ARMBoot is a dead project;  deveoplment  continues  in  the
environment  of  the U-Boot project; followup set to the u-boot-users
mailing list.

> In my guess, there should have armboot, bzImage, & romfs in the flash.

No. bzImage does not work. You will have to use the "mkimage" tool to
build a special U-Boot / ARMBoot image.

> How are they arranged by address in the flash memory?

U-Boot must be locatewd such that it gets started when the CPU  comes
out  of reset. On ARM this usually means that you will have to put it
in flash such that it starts at  physical  address  0x0000.  For  the
other  images you can chose which addresses you want - it makes sense
to align the images with the sectors of your flash memory, though.

> Thanks for any information

You are welcome.

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Lady Nancy Astor:
    "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your coffee."
Winston Churchill:
    "Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it."