[U-Boot-Users] M-Systems Disk on Chip and U-boot

Brian Waite linwoes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 14:49:23 CEST 2004

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 07:37:27 -0400, Herb Radford <herbr at magma.ca> wrote:
> We're looking at using a DoC on our next product and I was wondering how
> the drivers (obviously supplied by M-Systems) are merged into U-Boot code?

Please be cautious with merging drivers supplied my M-Systems into
U-Boot code. I have not seen thrie drivers, but I am not 100% sure
they are GPL. Including non-GPL code into U-Boot even locally can be
the cause of leagal headaches down the road. You may have to see if
you can reverse engineer the driver, or base the U-Boot driver off of
the kernel driver instead of using the vendor supplied driver. I would
be a bit cautious with this as there is no loadable module interface
loophole in U-Boot to help you avoid the GPL.
Sorry I couldn't be more help technically but I had a few spare cents
here to use.
Thanks
Brian