[U-Boot-Users] M-Systems Disk on Chip and U-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 2 19:46:26 CEST 2004

Dear Philip,

in message <1094135066.41372d1aaba03 at webmail.cam.org> you wrote:

> I think you could only use U-Boot to load a (non-GPL) loader that uses the DoC.
> It this a correct assumption?

Yes.  You  can  load  any  type  of  software,  including  completely
proprietary stuff.

> Wasn't there a section in the manual (U-Boot) about this, using U-Boot to load
> non-GPL applications [i.e. Whatever happened to Chapter 8]

Chapter 8 is a new chapter I intended to add about building and using
Linux kernel modules. I just never found time to add any ral content.

This has nothing to do with U-Boot.

> Also, what's the status for "standalone applications", i.e the U-Boot resources
> mentioned in 5.12 (console I/O, memory allocation, ...)?

What do you mean what is the status? It's  a  standard  feature  like
TFTP  download or serial console support... It has always been there,
and always will be.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you.
                                      - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_