[U-Boot-Users] Few U-boot architecture/implementation questions

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Wed Sep 8 23:12:31 CEST 2004

 >The design principle for U-Boot is to make it as easily  to  port
 >to new hardware as possible, which means: use a polling driver.

Noted - and will do. The easy answer is usually the right answer.

 > Normally the ethernet interface gets initialized only once

After recompiling with SMC_DEBUG turned to 2,  _every_ time a ping is done:

BOOT> ping 10.64.204.131
SMC91111:smc_close
LAN91C111:smc_shutdown
SMC91111:smc_open
SMC91111:smc_reset
SMC91111:smc_enable
SMC91111:phy caps=7809
SMC91111:phy advertised caps=1e1
Using MAC Address 02:FFFFFF80:FFFFFFAD:20:31:FFFFFFB8
SMC91111: memory allocation, try 1 succeeded ...
Polling...
SMC91111: Sent packet of length 60
MMU ready
RCV: STATUS   c6 LENGTH   42
SMC91111: memory allocation, try 1 succeeded ...
Polling...
SMC91111: Sent packet of length 60
MMU ready
RCV: STATUS   c6 LENGTH   42
SMC91111:smc_close
LAN91C111:smc_shutdown
host 10.64.204.131 is alive

Any thoughts on why it would start with a close & shutdown (and end the
same way)?

 > A patch to update the README is welcome ;-)

After figuring things out, I will see what I can add.

 >Make it [timers] as precise  as possible without breaking a leg.

Cool - spend enough time to make things in the right order of magnitude,
but no more.

 > see doc/README.autoboot
 > when the port is autobauding it will be difficult not to break existing
code.

Yeah, I see the added complexity. Maybe later - maybe never...

Thanks
-Robin