[U-Boot-Users] Execute in place

Ladislav Michl ladis at linux-mips.org
Thu Sep 9 16:31:47 CEST 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 10:10:41AM -0400, Michael Frey wrote:
> Marcelo,
>
> Instead of using bootm to boot the kernel you just need to jump to the
> address where the XIP image is located in flash.
>
> Like this:
>
> go 0x000c0000

That's nonsense. That doesn't make kernel XIP. AFAIR the only attempt to
make XIP kernel was done for SH port. I do not know its current state.

ARM kernel doesn't support XIP. Only kernel uncompressor runs directly
from flash (if configured in) and unpacks kernel into memory and then
jumping there. I'm using U-Boot for such purpose anyway, because it
gives you more freedom :)

Best regards,
	ladis