[U-Boot-Users] DULG/Manual: 7.6. Standalone Operation with Ramdisk Image

Alexander Povolotsky pevnev at juno.com
Tue Sep 21 02:31:25 CEST 2004

On PQ2FADS-VR board the U-Boot is programmed into flash sector started at address 0xFFF00000 (and ending at 0xFFF3FFFF I presume).
The next sector on the flash (starting at 0xFFF40000 and ending at 0xFFF7FFFF ) is used for U-Boot environment variables.

Does it mean that a minimal ramdisk image ramdisk_image.zip "for first tests" for 82xx, which I have downloaded from:

 ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk

could be programmed directly onto flash (bypassing putting it into ram first and then copying it into flash) using CodeWarrior/WireTap CCS's "Flash Programmer" tool into next 8 sectors, starting from address 0xFFF80000 ?

Aternatively - if I am to strictly follow steps outlined in DULG/Manual: 7.6. "Standalone Operation with Ramdisk Image"
I am not clear on addresses used there ?

My "normal" (without ramdisk) booting sequence is:
=> tftpboot 200000 uimage
=> bootm 200000

So what addresses I should use in:

=> tftp "/tftpboot/SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk"

and

=> cp.b

and

=> bootm