[U-Boot-Users] Microwindows on top of u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 22 11:56:33 CEST 2004

In message <41513758.9020106 at siol.net> you wrote:

> Greg Haerr, author of Microwindows, stated that Microwindows can be
> run without using any OS. All it needs is C-like enviroment. Since
> u-boot has support for standalone C applications, would it be doable
> to run MW on top of u-boot?

Yes, this should be possible, but you will have to deal with the fact
that U-Boot  itself  is  strictly  single-tasking  und  usually  uses
polling  drivers  only.  You  may have to create your own drivers for
things like keyboard and  touch  screen  (probably  interrupt-driven)
which then can be used in your own event loop.

> U-boot initializes a lot of peripherials too, and they could be used
> directly in MW. I belive that for simple GUI apps (touch screen, keys,

I doubt that they could be  used  directly;  not  unless  you  accept
restrictions resulting from U-Boot's single-threadedness...

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
What is mind?  No matter.  What is matter?  Never mind.
                                      -- Thomas Hewitt Key, 1799-1875