[U-Boot-Users] RE: [440GX/JFFS]

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 22 17:25:42 CEST 2004

In message <45ABD2373C33C4459D42B40EC4F346F2034C97C5 at FTWMLVEM03.e2k.ad.ge.com> you wrote:

> I have build a JFFS file system on which I put a busybox filesystem
> including vmlinuximage

Usually it is much easier to put the Linux kernel image in a separate
part of the flash. Loading it from a filesystem just adds to the boot
time.

> Looking at the docuementation, I am not very clear how to start linux.

There is no difference with any  other  boot  procedure  -  load  the
kernel to RAM, and use "bootm" to start it.

> I use fsload to copy it to memory but starting it fails.

What exactly does "it fails" mean? Is there any error message?

> Also in another instance when I had the stripped version of Linux burnt

What is a "stripped version"? U-Boot does not know such a thing.

> into flash
> I have not succeeded to autostart Linux (bootdelay was set to 5
> seconds).
> Starting it from the command line works (go ff900000).

You must be doing something seriously wrong. You NEVER start a  Linux
kernel using the "go" command, but ONLY using "bootm".

Please RTFM.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
We have phasers, I vote we blast 'em!
	-- Bailey, "The Corbomite Maneuver", stardate 1514.2