[U-Boot-Users] Netconsole at startup

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 23 17:14:06 CEST 2004

In message <41520CB7.3030405 at tait.co.nz> you wrote:

> > Which architecture, which board?
>
> I thought the whole point of the core code of u-boot was that it was
> architecture independent - I'm obviously wrong there...Its a custom
> mpc859 board as it happens.

It's the intention to be HW independent, but obviously this may  need
support on the driver side, too.

MPC8xx should work, though.

> >>If I define CFG_CONSOLE_IS_IN_ENV, then the netconsole stuff refuses to
> >>run (i.e. it doesn't use serial but it doesn't use nc either!!) - even
> >
> > What does your overwrite_console() look like?
>
> Why should I even have it defined - if its supposed to read the device
> from the environment then it seems reasonable that it does so at a point
> when initialisation is complete and its able to make use of it.

It may be reasonable, but I'm also pretty  sure  that  it  was  never
tested when we implemented the NC stuff.

> > And  what  exactly  are  you  trying  to  do  here?  What  does  your
> > environment settings look like?
>
> I have stdin=nc, stdout=nc, stderr=nc, ncip=172.25.x.x - all values that
> work fine when used interactively!!

In interactive mode these settings take effect MUCH later.

> I can see the assignment in console_init_r() occuring OK for the values
> in the environment, its just that (presumably) the init order is not
> correct somewhere  so it doesn't actually work!!

Probably. I guess you will have to debug & fix this.

> One suggestion for the shell script to drive it from Linux - add a
> '-icrnl' to the stty line to stop 'cr' characters getting translated -
> works wonders at confounding the password patch from Pantelis Antoniou :-))

I hate boot loaders which have passwords. They might deny  me  access
to the machine ...

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
That Microsoft, the Trabant of the operating  system  world,  may  be
glancing  over the Berlin Wall at the Audis and BMWs and Mercedes. In
their own universe Trabants and Ladas were mainstream too...
                                                   -- Evan Leibovitch