[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot not responding back to ARP requests?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 27 08:58:50 CEST 2004

In message <6.1.1.1.0.20040926172119.01e24fc0 at wheresmymailserver.com> you wrote:

> Yeah - my problem as soon as the network admin figures out what is going
> on, and tells me I can't have U-boot plugged into the network. :( There is
> so much ARP/RARP traffic that the subnet performance is about 1/10 of what
> it should be. So far the only person complaining was me, and now I will stop.

I cannot believe this. How many boards do  you  have  connected,  how
often  o  they  boot,  and how much ARP traffic do you really have on
your net?

Yes, there may be some  ARP  traffic,  but  it  should  nbever  be  a
noticable network load.

> I agree (almost) - it is a development issue that is only a problem during
> bring up and testing of U-boot. There is no reason to change production
> level code to fix a development issue.

Ummm... no. We are focussed on development.  If  U-Boot  causes  real
problems  in  a development environment we have to address this, too.
But ARP? I cannot imagine that this is a real problem.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You see things; and you say ``Why?'' But I dream  things  that  never
were; and I say ``Why not?''
       - George Bernard Shaw _Back to Methuselah_ (1921) pt. 1, act 1