[U-Boot-Users] make: *** [u-boot] Error 139

Yuli Barcohen yuli at arabellasw.com
Fri Apr 1 19:08:56 CEST 2005

    Anthony> Hi, I'm trying to compile u-boot version 1.1.2 unmodifed on
    Anthony> an iBook G4 with the following specs:

    Anthony> glibc: 2.3.4 gcc: 3.4.3 binutils: 2.15.90.0.3-r3

    Anthony> Here are the steps I'm using, please let me know if I've
    Anthony> screwed something up:

    Anthony> make Sandpoint8245_config make

    Anthony> The build appears to go through fine until near the end,
    Anthony> where it is trying to use ld with the option:

    Anthony> ...-Map u-boot.map -o u-boot

    Anthony> Then I see this every time in the same place:

    Anthony> make: *** [u-boot] Error 139

    Anthony> u-boot.map is empty at this point.

    Anthony> The exact same thing happens when I try to build u-boot
    Anthony> using a cross compiler built on an x86 machine for a
    Anthony> powerpc 603e cpu.  u-boot.map is also empty

    Anthony> Also, I get the exact same error when trying to do the same
    Anthony> task on a Pegasos machine running Debian.  The only
    Anthony> difference on the Pegasos machine is that it actually gets
    Anthony> part way through creating u-boot.map.u-boot.map actually
    Anthony> contains some data.

Looks like the problem which I found long time ago in binutils but have
no time to fix. What I discovered is that if you request link map (-Map)
and the linker command file (u-boot.lds) contains conditional statement
(in u-boot it's usually DEFINED(env_offset) ? env_offset : .) then the
linker crashes. I don't know if Sandpoint needs this statement, maybe it
can be removed, otherwise remove -Map.

 Yuli Barcohen       | Phone +972-9-765-1788 |  Software Project Leader
 yuli at arabellasw.com | Fax   +972-9-765-7494 | Arabella Software, Israel