[U-Boot-Users] Does CFG_CMD_SDRAM only use for SDRAM DIMMs?

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Mon Apr 4 14:38:10 CEST 2005

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>>Well, should we add a note beside it like
>>"Must be used with CFG_CMD_I2C" to show their
>>relationship?
>

> Good idea. Submit a patch?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

When you are submitting this patch ;-), you might want to add a note
that this is reading from the standard configuration information from
the I2C EEPROM on a DIMM memory module.  This command is not useful for
built-in SDRAM memories (i.e. soldered to the motherboard).

I suspect that applies to Frank and the SDRAM configuration read command
is not useful for him.  In general, if you have DIMM memory modules, you
probably have I2C enabled in order to configure them.  Conversely, if
you don't have I2C, you probably don't have DIMM memory modules and the
command is useless.  The third case is that you have DIMM memory modules
but are not using the I2C configuration information out of them... in
that case you should be adding I2C and the automatic configuration.

gvb