[U-Boot-Users] Re: arm925t - allow any stack size

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 6 23:19:34 CEST 2005

In message <20050406205305.GA8862 at orphique> you wrote:

> Ummm... I wouldn't expect such question from principal U-Boot author :)

My ARM experience is ... ummm... let's say limited.

> To be honest I didn't verify all startup code carefuly and as far as I
> remember CONFIG_STACKSIZE was always there. I remember you told me that

I see.

> ARM port is a bit broken and should be fixed. I can try it if I ever
> find some time, but it would be very helpfull if you show me the path.

Well, I think that U-Boot should not rely  on  a  pre-configured  RAM
size,  but  automatically  detect  how much RAM there is on a system,
relocate itself to the very end of the RAM, and then set up a  memory
map as described in the README:

[Top of RAM]:
	[optional: protected RAM]
	[optional: framebuffer]
	U-Boot bss
	U-Boot data
	U-Boot text
	Malloc Arena
	Board Info Data and permanent copy of global data
	U-Boot stack (growing downward)
[Bottom of RAM]

> My patch only removes limitation for malloc pool size and stack size to
> be directly loadable to register as a constant. Now it is probably time
> to think about it a bit more...

About it - about what?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The amount of time between slipping on the peel and  landing  on  the
pavement is precisely 1 bananosecond.