[U-Boot-Users] JFFS2+U-Boot writing an image that has been "SUMMARY"-patched?

Dave Ellis DGE at sixnetio.com
Thu Apr 7 17:10:30 CEST 2005

Martin Egholm Nielsen wrote:
> I'm considering patching my Linux kernel JFFS2 code with the "summary"

> patch:
> http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/jffs2/mount.php
> decreasing mount time severely. In short, this patch requires
modifying
> some data in the end of each eraseblock - also in the image that
should
> be written.
>
> However, I'm planning on using u-boot to write the Linux root-fs -
using
> "nand write.jffs2" - and was wondering whether this function
> (write.jffs2) actually cared about what it was writing?

When I added the option all it did was allow skipping of bad blocks
(since
JFFS2 blocks don't care where they are in the FLASH) and write the oob
data properly for JFFS2. It didn't (and I think still doesn't) examine
the
JFFS2 data at all. As long as the summary data is location independent
it
should be OK.

> I tried writing "giberish" memory data using write.jffs2, and it
didn't
> complain, though. But still, its name ".jffs2" indicate that some
> knowledge of jffs2 is used?

I only meant it to indicate that the option is for writing jffs2 images,
so
if changes or added features would break jffs2 compatibility (and some
were
proposed a while ago) the changes should not be made to the jffs2
option, they
would need a new one.

Best regards,

Dave Ellis
SIXNET - "Leading the Industrial Ethernet Revolution"
331 Ushers Road,   P.O. Box 767, Clifton Park, NY 12065 USA
Tel +1 (518) 877-5173   Fax +1 (518) 877-8346
Email me at: dge at sixnetio.com
Detailed product info: www.sixnetio.com