[U-Boot-Users] Re: JFFS2 support - was: (no subject)

Martin Egholm Nielsen martin at egholm-nielsen.dk
Thu Apr 7 21:55:06 CEST 2005

Hi Michael,

>> If you didn't update it yourself this just meand that it's old.  Very
>> old. Very, very old indeed.

> agreed. So I take that to be read as: go update the mtd code
> manually, overwriting the old drivers/mtd and include/mtd directories
>
> if so, what version of mtd should I use.. I understand that currently
> the mtd guys are not supporting ancient kernels (2.4.20)
They no longer support 2.4 kernels, at all:

"As of March 2005 we dropped Linux 2.4 support from CVS head"
(http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/source.html#kernelversions)

however, David still backports some jffs2 stuff to the 2.4 branch:

"I _am_ maintaining JFFS2 in the 2.4 kernel, even to the extent of
backporting the __wait_on_freeing_inode() stuff from 2.6 to fix the
problems with simultaneous read_inode() and clear_inode(). But I'm not
adding new features, so NAND flash isn't supported in 2.4."
(http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2005-March/012088.html)

>> For the last time (before I give up finally): and how did you install
>> that image to your flash partition? Under Linux or under U-Boot?  How
>> exactly?
> Ah, sorry I see what you are getting at.. I use U-Boot to write the
> jffs2 image
> that I create on my PC host. I tftp the image, and then use cp.b to the
> address
> that is my flash address space.
> I use cp.b since it does not work doing simply cp.. because of the word
> length...
I guess this is NOR flash? Otherwise you should use "nand.write.jffs2",
handling bad blocks (broken currently).

// Martin