[U-Boot-Users] Re: JFFS2 support - was: (no subject)

C Michael Sundius msundius at sundius.com
Fri Apr 8 00:58:01 CEST 2005

On Apr 7, 2005, at 12:55 PM, Martin Egholm Nielsen wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
>>> If you didn't update it yourself this just meand that it's old.  Very
>>> old. Very, very old indeed.
>
>> agreed. So I take that to be read as: go update the mtd code
>> manually, overwriting the old drivers/mtd and include/mtd directories
>> if so, what version of mtd should I use.. I understand that currently
>> the mtd guys are not supporting ancient kernels (2.4.20)
> They no longer support 2.4 kernels, at all:
>
> "As of March 2005 we dropped Linux 2.4 support from CVS head"
> (http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/source.html#kernelversions)
>
> however, David still backports some jffs2 stuff to the 2.4 branch:
>
> "I _am_ maintaining JFFS2 in the 2.4 kernel, even to the extent of
> backporting the __wait_on_freeing_inode() stuff from 2.6 to fix the
> problems with simultaneous read_inode() and clear_inode(). But I'm not
> adding new features, so NAND flash isn't supported in 2.4."
> (http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2005-March/012088.html)

ah, yea, I think that means that he puts the fixes into the 2.4.27
kernel
which is the most recent, but for 2.4.20 I think I'm up a creek... also
my understanding is that their current release of the mtd code (that you
can get seperate from the kernel) is only intended for use w/ 2.6..

thus at some point in the past there was one that worked w/ 2.4.20...I
suppose
I should ask this on the mtd-users list. I hesitated because of all of
their warnings
about not posting questions about 2.4 and other ancient kernels... -
not that
I don't deserve flames from everywhere I post ;]

well thanks anyhow

>>> For the last time (before I give up finally): and how did you install
>>> that image to your flash partition? Under Linux or under U-Boot?  How
>>> exactly?
>> Ah, sorry I see what you are getting at.. I use U-Boot to write the
>> jffs2 image
>> that I create on my PC host. I tftp the image, and then use cp.b to
>> the address
>> that is my flash address space.
>> I use cp.b since it does not work doing simply cp.. because of the
>> word length...
> I guess this is NOR flash? Otherwise you should use
> "nand.write.jffs2", handling bad blocks (broken currently).
>
> // Martin

actually I have 2 flavors of hardware. one with NOR and one with NAND..
for the NAND device I
hacked the dataflash driver in u-boot to be a wrapper around our
proprietary driver. (it works ok
but its not perfect..some stuff not supported though it seems to be
more stable than my NOR driver).
   (maybe this is not the best way to do things.. I'm happy to be
corrected on
this issue)

so I don't quite understand your notation "nand.write.jffs2"... is that
part of u-boot? is that a program
or function or command?....