[U-Boot-Users] More 5282 network issues-development

NZG ngustavson at emacinc.com
Tue Apr 12 17:14:42 CEST 2005

I'm currently working with Zachary Landau's port of the 5282, trying to get
the network running correctly on a new 5282 based board with no pre-loader
that boots from external flash.
I'm running into some generic u-boot issues and I was running if anyone could
help point me in the right direction. Any general comments or discussion on
the items below would be helpful.

FEC_STRUCTURE
This seems to be the subject of some debate, but looking over it, the fec
structure in the CVS does appear to be incorrect.
For instance, it only defines a single hash table
 uint fec_hash_table_high; /* upper 32-bits of hash table  */
 uint fec_hash_table_low; /* lower 32-bits of hash table  */]
Even thought the datasheet clearly indicates that there are two. How could
this possibly be correct?
Zach's structure does appear to be the correct one, and in fact is the only
one I've had any success with at all.

HASH TABLES:
Zach's code was clearing the individual hash table, but not the group hash
table, The new code is currently clearing both tables, although I'm not
technically sure this is correct as I'm really not that experienced with
ethernet hash tables.

SPEED:
The new code can download intact linux images with tftp, but it only works if
ET_DEBUG is enabled. If it's not everything seems to run too fast and the
code chokes itself(sends out big bursts of packets and then doesn't respond
to the big bursts it gets back). How can I tell it to slow down and wait for

ICMP:
Once the TFTP transaction gags, my tftpd server turns around and starts trying
to ping the client to see if it's alive, but it never responds. Should it be?
does the stack support this?

thx,
NZG.