[U-Boot-Users] fatload'ing kernel image from CF [RESOLVED]

Jeff Angielski jeff at theptrgroup.com
Fri Apr 15 18:46:20 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 10:27 -0400, Jeff Angielski wrote:
> Are there any partitioning requirements associated with loading files
> using the fatload command?  I have found that if I try to load a file
> from the 2nd partition and the 1st partition exceeds a certain size, the
> fatload command fails.

U-boot is working correctly.

The problem is due to the fact that the FAT was incorrectly detected
when the partition was mounted by the kernel.  Even though the partition
was formatted as FAT16, when it was mounted, the kernel thought it was
FAT12 and updated the FAT accordingly.  When u-boot came by later and
tried to derefence the clusters from what it [correctly] thought was
FAT16, it failed because the cluster numbers were all FAT12.

And depending on the size and location of the 2nd partition dictated
whether the kernel/mount autodetection was correct.

The quick solution is to force the kenel to mount the partition as:

# mount -t msdos -o fat=16 /dev/xsysace/disc0/part2 /mnt/xsa

Jeff