[U-Boot-Users] Cannot boot from a uImage on the lite5200

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 20 22:15:11 CEST 2005

In message <528646bc0504201254fade191 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> What specifically needs to be done to configure a kernel for use with
> u-boot?  From the documentation I could only find references to using
> mkimage to prepare an image (which I've done).

You must use the raw  kernel  image,  without  the  kernel  bootstrap
stuff.  And  you  must  make  sure  to  pass the parameters correctly
(struct bd_info). See also the FAQ at
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxHangsAfterUncompressingKernel

> but it made no difference.  I could not find anything in the kernel
> config file related to u-boot for this port.  The file

This is probably the problem.

> Documentation/powerpc/mpc52xx.txt in the kernel tree states that a
> 'make uImage' should build an image bootable by u-boot.  (The Makefile
> simply calls mkimage for the uImage target)

This is probably not enough. At least  you  must  make  sure  not  to
include any bootstrap stuff.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I didn't know it was impossible when I did it."